Monday, June 11, 2012

Dorming at UB

I realized I didn't share my housing info with you guys. Needless to say, this called for a new post! Prior to arriving in Botswana, we were given a choice, either to do a home-stay or live in the dorms at the University of Botswana (UB). When I arrived in Botswana, we were accommodated at a motel for orientation. On Friday, we moved to the dorms, and others who were doing the home-stay moved to their respective homes. I was surprised to see that the dorms here are similar to the ones in the U.S. I have a single in a cluster sized apartment that has a kitchen, a common room and a full bath. I have three roommates: an American, a Kenyan, and a local Motswana. Did I mention I have six-legged roommates also?! Well, I have a couple of those. They like to crash in my room from time to time. I end up killing them - I'm a horrible host!

I was reluctant to do the home-stay because I had to commute 40 minutes, one-way, to attend classes at UB. Afterall, I'm here as a student  But, hearing stories from friends who are doing the home-stay, I think I made the right decision. As you all know, its winter in Botswana, and it could get pretty cold at nights. Home-stays lack heaters and only one of them has Wifi at her home-stay. The other has no hot water, and she has to boil it separately in a bucket. I remember doing this in India, when I visited during 90s. The other has to kill three cockroaches on average whenever he needs to shower. They are everywhere!
However, there are pros and cons of both dorms and home-stays. No doubt, there is more culture immersion at home-stays. The parents at home-stays expect their children to follow their traditional practices and expect to accompany them in services (but not all of them are like that). There are 19 of us and 7 of them are doing the home-stays. If you plan on doing study abroad, depending on the country you are travelling to and your values, choose the best option you think you'll get more out from your time abroad, and the option that gives you your personal space. In the end, it all comes down to if you are happy with your decision or not.

2 comments:

  1. Healing from HIV-AIDS, i never though dr.camala who could ever get my HIV-AIDS cured with his healing spell, i have tried almost everything but i couldn't find any solution on my disease, despite all these happening to me, i always spend alot to buy a HIV drugs from hospital and taking some several medications but no relieve, until one day i was just browsing on the internet when i come across a great post of !Michelle! who truly said that she was been diagnose with HIV and was healed that very week through the help of these great powerful healing spell doctor, sometime i really wonder why people called him Papa camala, i never knew it was all because of the great and perfect work that he has been doing that is causing all this. so i quickly contacted him, and he ask me some few questions and he said a thing i will never forget that anyone who contacted him is ! always getting his or her healing in just 6 hours after doing all he ask you, so i was amazed all the time i heard that from him, so i did all things only to see that at the very day which he said i will be healed, all the strength that has left me before rush back and i becomes very strong and healthy, this disease almost kills my life all because of me, so i will to hospital to give the final test to the disease and the doctor said i am HIV negative, i am very amazed and happy about the healing dr.camala gave to me from the ancient part of Africa, you can email him now for your own healing too at: dr.camalahivadscure@yahoo.com or WhatsApp him +2349055637784 thank you sir for healing me from HIV, i am Doris Carter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey everyone sorry I have been away for so long but so much has been going on and no time to post. I moved to New Orleans the first week of July and my feet hit the ground running. I have been working on my old house in Florida for the last few weeks and I am exhausted after successfully getting a loan from Mr Pedro and his loan firm at 3% rate to help finish my house ! So no time to work out, no time to eat right etc.....I so want my life back and I am so proud of what Mr Pedro did to me by helping me with a loan. I am going to leave Mr Pedro email here so anyone looking for a loan can contact Mr Pedro on ...pedroloanss@gmail.com or whatsapp text...+18632310632. Hopefully I can get my life back on track. Miss you guys hope to back on soon.

    ReplyDelete