Saturday, June 30, 2012

Clinical Experience Gabz 2/2

          On the second day of clinics, I was observing in the injection and dressing ward. The day was quite frustrating because I first-time witnessed a shortage of workforce in the clinic. Actually, there were enough nurses but I was with local nursing interns from a local college, who were assigned to the same ward. However, non of them had had any clue on how to get started. The patient line started to build up. I had to get the manager and let the head nurse aware of the situation, but help didn’t come until 9:00am. As for the student nurses, they didn't seem much to care other than use their phone constantly all the time. The clinic opened at 7:30am and patients were waiting since then. To meet the demands of the many patients, since we took our first an hour and a half later, we took two patients at a time. Privacy, you may ask? the clinic observes no privacy rule other than the caravan where HIV testing takes place. People were coming in to change their bandages for surgery cuts, bruises, burns and infections. The nurses would also clean their wounds with hydrogen peroxide.  They were also patients who came in to do blood tests. The nurses would take their blood in two tubes.  The patients would have to come in later to view their results. For a little while, I moved to the dispensary to see how drugs were distributed to patients when the injecting and dressing room was stagnant. Basically, the patients would come in with prescriptions and some were asked to show IDs for identification purposes. The clinic lacked an actual pharmacist. There was a nurse I shadowed who knew everything about the drugs and the ways to prepare them as some drugs required dilutions. Condoms were supplied for free. A HIV positive man came in to get condoms and he was given about 20 of them without any charge. This is in stark contrast to how drugs are distributed in the U.S. The country does have a private insurance system but for public healthcare they don't require it unless they wanted to be treated by private health-care providers
I managed to get more hands-on interaction with patients in the screening room the third day. I had the opportunity of recording their blood pressure, measuring their pulse, taking their temperature and administering drugs to them on site. The patients that mostly came in had fever or cold. For infants, only the temperature was taken. If their temperature was 38 C and above, two paracetamol drops were given to them. The same applied to adults. This is what I did for most of the day. The manager for the clinic briefly called me to help her in the HIV caravan outside the clinic. The caravan was where people where tested for HIV. I believe it was separate from the clinic building to preserve the privacy of patients. After I got to the caravan, I was asked to hold the baby while the nurse was taking blood samples from the heel of the baby born to an HIV positive mother. For infants, a normal HIV test, like the Elisa antibody test done for adults, cannot apply to infants because babies born to HIV positive mothers have IgG antibodies that are passed on from the mother to the fetus during pregnancy. This doesn’t necessarily mean the baby has the virus, but will give a false positive if an Elisa test is taken. So, blood samples were taken to be sent to the Harvard Research lab at the Princess Marina Hospital for PCR. Through PCR, the HIV status of babies can be determined born to HIV positive mothers. The mother was asked to come in after three weeks to check up on the results. I then walked over to the adult HIV testing/counseling room. They were doing Elisa antibody test on a local man. The man came in to do a HIV test because his partner was found to be positive. This was a notable experience because I really got to see the interaction between the health educator and the patient. He explained for a good 5 minutes how he’s going to conduct the test. There were two plastic apparatus to check if the patient was HIV positive or no. Blood drops were taken from his index finger and put in the apparatus to check for the number of lines. Two lines meant he was positive and one line meant he was negative. His result came out to be two lines on both apparatus.

3 comments:

  1. I really liked your Information. Keep up the good work. Zimbabwe car exports

    ReplyDelete
  2. Healing from HIV-AIDS, i never though dr.camala who could ever get my HIV-AIDS cured with his healing spell, i have tried almost everything but i couldn't find any solution on my disease, despite all these happening to me, i always spend alot to buy a HIV drugs from hospital and taking some several medications but no relieve, until one day i was just browsing on the internet when i come across a great post of !Michelle! who truly said that she was been diagnose with HIV and was healed that very week through the help of these great powerful healing spell doctor, sometime i really wonder why people called him Papa camala, i never knew it was all because of the great and perfect work that he has been doing that is causing all this. so i quickly contacted him, and he ask me some few questions and he said a thing i will never forget that anyone who contacted him is ! always getting his or her healing in just 6 hours after doing all he ask you, so i was amazed all the time i heard that from him, so i did all things only to see that at the very day which he said i will be healed, all the strength that has left me before rush back and i becomes very strong and healthy, this disease almost kills my life all because of me, so i will to hospital to give the final test to the disease and the doctor said i am HIV negative, i am very amazed and happy about the healing dr.camala gave to me from the ancient part of Africa, you can email him now for your own healing too at: dr.camalahivadscure@yahoo.com or WhatsApp him +2349055637784 thank you sir for healing me from HIV, i am Doris Carter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dr Itua cure my HIV, I have been a ARV Consumption for 10 years. i have been in pains until i came across Dr Itua on blogs site.I emailed him about my details of my HIV and my location i explained every thing to him and he told me that there is nothing to be scared of that he will cured me, he gave me guarantee,He ask me to pay for items fees so when i'm cured I will show gratitude I did and giving testimony of his healing herbs is what I'm going to do for the rest of you out there having HIV and other disease can see the good work of Dr Itua.I received his herbal medicine through EMS Courier service who delivered to my post office within 5 working days.Dr Itua is an honest man and I appreciate him for his good work.My GrandMa called him to appreciate him and rest of my friends did too,Is a joy to me that I'm free of taking Pills and having that fat belle is a nightmare.you will understand what i'm talking about if you have same problem I was having then not now though.I'm free and healthy Big Thanks To Dr Itua Herbal Center.I have his calendar too that he recently sent me,He Cure all kind disease Like,Cancer,Weak Erection,Wart Remover,Hpv,Herpes,Fibromyalgia,Hiv,Hepatitis B,Liver/Kidney Inflamatory,Epilepsy,Infertility,Fibroid,Diabetes,Dercum,Copd ,and also Bring back Ex Lover Back..Here his Contact .drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com Or Whats_app Number +2348149277967

    ReplyDelete