Sunday, May 27, 2012

Why Botswana?!

Deciding a place was a tough decision. I knew I wanted to pick a program something related to my major. After I chose public-health, I looked at public-health programs offered by study abroad organizations. To make my decision easier, I stuck to one program, CIEE, and now was left with a difficult task of picking a country that offered that particular program. My options were Thailand, Dominican Republic, Argentina and Botswana.

The cost of the program is different for each country and should be taken into account when considering where to go for study abroad. To have the perfect international experience, you would want to pick a place that suits your needs without having to think about it twice. Moreover, I wanted to go somewhere different, a unique non-traditional place that would make me standout. This is often times helpful when applying for scholarships (this will be further discussed in the scholarships page). I was confused between Argentina and Botswana. Argentina was an option because a public-health program there would be more relative to the U.S. Both are developed countries. However, Botswana is a developing country and analyzing HIV/AIDS in the context of a developing nation intrigued me. Therefore, I chose Botswana. Plus, I get to learn an African language! Setswana!

No comments:

Post a Comment